When we play the guitar notes we hear are made up of complicated patterns, one of which is a harmonic. If you watch the video you will see that I play the harmonics on frets 5, 7 and 12. These are easiest harmonics to play, but note that harmonics also exist on frets 4, 16 and 19. These additional harmonics are played with the same technique but getting a clean sound can be a bit more challenging.
How to play a harmonic:
Harmonics are fairly simple but you must follow these key rules:
1. Do NOT press down on the string.
2. Gently rest your finger tip on the string!
3. Place your finger directly over the fret (metal piece).
Let's play a harmonic on the 7th fret of the sixth string:
1. Place your 3rd finger (ring finger) directly above the 7th fret.
2. Do NOT press down, just let your finger touch the string.
3. Pick the string and lift your 3rd finger.
Watch The Harmonic Video